"Like the city of Sakai, Fujiidera is known as a “Kofun (mounded tomb) Town” due to its inscription as part of a World Heritage site. However, it is also home to many National Treasures that showcase the Japanese culture!
The National Treasure and History Tour starts at Hajinosato Station. This station was named after the Haji clan, who was responsible for the manufacture of haniwa (clay figures) and ceramics."
A giant keyhole-shaped kofun thought to have had a double moat.
This mound is 230 meters long and is thought to have had a double moat when it was first constructed. It is the fourth largest giant keyhole-shaped kofun (mounded tomb) of the Furuichi Kofun Group and the nineteenth largest in Japan. During the early Meiji era (1868–1912), it was determined to be the mausoleum of Emperor Ingyo, the 19th legendary emperor of Japan. It is also known as the Ichinoyama Kofun. Many artifacts dating from the mid-5th century have been excavated here, including cylindrical haniwa (clay figures); haniwa in the shape of dogs, horses, and human figures; and Sue ware bowls with lids.
The principal image of worship at this ancient temple is a statue of the standing Eleven-Headed Kannon (bodhisattva of compassion), a National Treasure.
Domyoji Temple is a Buddhist convent that originated from Hajidera Temple, which was built in the mid-7th century as the clan temple of the Haji clan. This is the place where Sugawara no Michizane (845–903), a descendant of the Haji clan, visited his aunt, Kakujuni, on his way to Dazaifu in Kyushu. When the temple was first built, it was located near the southern approach to the present-day Domyoji Tenmangu Shrine. The foundation of the central pillar of the pagoda still remains there to this day. Later, it was moved to the precincts of Domyoji Tenmangu Shrine due to devastation caused by fires during the Sengoku period (1467–1568) and flooding in Ishikawa during the Edo period (1603-1867). In 1868, the Meiji government enacted an order separating Shinto from Buddhism, and the shrine was finally moved to its current location. The temple’s principal image of worship (honzon) is a statue of the standing Juichimen Kannon (Eleven-Headed Kannon), a National Treasure. It can be viewed on the 18th and 25th every month. The temple is also famous as the birthplace of Domyoji Hoshii (dehydrated rice) and Domyoji-ko (glutinous rice flour), which are known as the ingredients for Japanese sweets such as Kansai-style sakura mochi (Domyoji mochi), a pink-colored rice cake wrapped in a salt-pickled cherry leaf and filled with sweet azuki bean paste.
A Shinto shrine dedicated to Sugawara no Michizane, the deity of learning. The plum blossom garden is a must-see.
Domyoji Tenmangu Shrine was originally established to enshrine the clan deity of the Haji clan, and later was dedicated to Sugawara no Michizane (845–903), who was a descendant of the Haji clan and had close ties to the shrine. The Homotsukan (treasure hall) houses many precious cultural properties, including the claimed relics of Sugawara no Michizane, which are National Treasures. The shrine is famous for its plum blossoms, and many visitors come to visit the plum garden in the precincts every year between February and March.
Long-established Japanese sweets store with a cafe
This store’s bean paste is made by hand and imparts an elegant sweetness to the sweets, enhancing its flavor. They offer a wide variety of beautifully presented Japanese sweets, from simple classics to seasonal favorites such as strawberry milk daifuku (glutinous rice cake with filling) and “Komuroyama,” a sweet with a mounded tomb motif. Be sure to check out the authentic Kansai-style sakura mochi. a pink-colored rice cake wrapped in a salt-pickled cherry leaf and filled with sweet azuki bean paste, which is made with Domyoji Hoshii (dehydrated rice), a local specialty!
A temple of the Saikoku Kannon Pilgrimage that enshrines the Thousand-Armed Kannon, a National Treasure.
Fujiidera Temple was built during the Hakuho period (late 7th century) as the clan temple of the ancient Fujii clan. It is the fifth temple of the Saikoku Kannon Pilgrimage, a pilgrimage route covering thirty-three Buddhist temples in the Kansai region that enshrine the bodhisattva Kannon (Avalokiteshvara). As such, it draws worshippers and pilgrims from all across Japan. The principal image of worship (honzon) at the temple is a dry lacquer statue of the seated Senju Kannon (Thousand-Armed Kannon), which is a National Treasure of Japan. It is the only Buddhist statue from the Nara period (710–794) in Osaka Prefecture and is unveiled on the 18th day of every month. The temple’s four-legged gate is a superb example of a Momoyama-style structure and has been designated an Important Cultural Property of Japan. In spring, beautiful wisteria blossoms hang from trellises in the precincts.